The Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA adopts rules and regulations for the safety of its members, our community and staff. Your safety remains our #1 priority. Under the guidance from the Governor and the New Jersey Department of Health (DOH) we have incorporated and implemented several new policies and measures into our daily operations in regards to safety, capacity, cleaning, social distancing etc. in order to keep you and your loved ones safe while you enjoy the new pool complex.
2021 UPDATE: The rules, regulations and policies listed below were adopted based on the most recent operating guidelines from the NJ Governor & DOH. Once revisions and/or further changes to policies, programs and/or operations become available, the YMCA will update them here and share changes with registered participants. If you have specific questions, please contact us.
The Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA Management reserves the right to adopt additional or supplemental rules as needed. All rules will be posted throughout the pool facility and strictly enforced at all times.
• Membership Fees are determined by the estimated cost it will take to run and operate the entire facility. The BHCP operates independently from the town of Berkeley Heights and therefore is not subsidized. For more information on membership types please click here.
• Each member (18 months and older) will be issued an ID swipe card that must be used to enter the facility each time they visit. Swipe cards are not transferable and must be available for inspection at all times. Anyone borrowing or loaning ID cards may be suspended from the facility without a refund. Additionally, all members must have a photo taken for their account. Members who lose ID swipe cards may purchase a new one for $10 or use the SAY Mobile App.
• A refund request for cancellation of full season memberships must be made in writing by the participant. A full refund will be provided for full season memberships if cancelled on or prior to the pool's opening day. Cancellations after opening day do not qualify for a refund but will be issued a credit that is valid for 12 months from the date of issue if the membership is cancelled within the first two weeks of the pool opening. A system credit of 75% will be given to members who cancel within the first 7 days. A system credit of 50% will be given to members who cancel within the first 14 days. Full season membership cancellations received after 14 days will not be honored and are not subject to credit. Credit may be used at any branch of the Summit Area YMCA. Programs cancelled by the YMCA will be made available for a full refund or credit. Cancellation and refund policy is subject to change. Credit/refund may take up to two weeks to process. Promotional membership rates for August & September are non-refundable.
• With the recent loosening of restrictions by the Governor and local Health Department, we are happy to announce that we will be permitting guests during the summer 2021 season! All guests must be accompanied by a BHCPY member. Trial passes will not be available in the 2021 summer season. Some restrictions apply like limitations on some weekends/holidays or on days with special events are planned to ensure members have access to our facility comfortably. The guest policy is subject to change at any time. Click below for complete details.
• Both the Main and Kiddy Pool are available for use by all members. Children that are not fully toilet trained must wear a specific manufactured swimming disposable diaper. Children not fully toilet trained in the Main Pool MUST remain in the Red Zone of the pool with a parent/guardian in the water at all times.
• Any person showing evidence of skin disease, sore inflamed eyes, colds, cough, anal or ear discharge, or any communicable disease, excessive sunburn, open blisters, cuts or bandages, may be refused admission to the pool area. Individuals who have experienced episodes of diarrhea and/or vomiting should refrain from entering the pool for at least 48 hours since their latest episode to protect the general population.
• Any person that has had a temperature, cough, or has displayed cold, flu, or COVID-19 symptoms must be symptom free for at least 48 hours prior to entering the facility.
• The BHCPY is an alcohol and smoke-free facility. Smoking or alcohol use is not permitted on the grounds. Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in suspension of membership with no refund.
• It is required that all members rinse in a shower before entering the pool.
• Appropriate swim attire must be worn at all times while in the pool. Non-swimwear is not permitted in the pool at any time. Additionally, swimwear must appropriately cover swimmers, so as to maintain a family friendly environment. Failure to adhere to this policy will result in suspension of the membership.
• Any change of clothing, diapers or bathing suits may not occur on the deck area of the pool.
• Swimmers are only permitted to enter the facility only when lifeguards are on duty.
• Diving is allowed only off the diving boards in the Dive Tank. The only exception made is for swim lessons, swim team practices, and swim meets when swimmers are under the direct supervision of coaches and instructors.
• The Dive Tank is for diving board use only. Each diving board may be used by only one person at a time.
• Jumping into the pool is permitted. For your safety, head first diving is not allowed in any area except in deep water where the diving boards are located. The Pool Management may make exceptions to this rule by limiting jumping to designated areas at specific times of the day.
• No inflatable toys and/or water paraphernalia are allowed in the pool area. Pool Management may designate a time when swimmers may use balls and other water play items (at BHCPY management discretion).
• Running, pushing, towel snapping, profane language, horseplay, or other dangerous behaviors are prohibited.
• The Kiddy Pool is for children under the age of 6.
• The Lap Lanes are designated for lap swimmers only - reservations required. Those who are not swimming laps may not enter or cross through the Lap Lanes.
• Safety is our top priority. All swimmers ages 14 and younger are required to take a swim evaluation test which is administered daily by BHCPY staff. Swimmers are evaluated on their current swimming abilities regardless of whether the swimmer may have taken a swim test in a previous season. Swim bracelets are distributed to swimmers ages 3-14 based on current swimming ability (not age) and must be worn at all times.
• Swimmers who decline to take the Swim Evaluation must wear a red bracelet, which limits them to the shallow end of the pool.
• Swimmers can retake the Swim Evaluation only once each week. All decisions regarding Swim Evaluation are at the discretion of the BHCPY management and are not subject to question. Swim Evaluation results will kept on file electronically.
• The Swim Evaluation tests the current swimming ability and stamina of the swimmer and involves the following tasks:
• The dive tank must be clear before diving.
• Divers may only take one bounce on the board. Only forward selection dives permitted. Dives which propel a person towards the board are prohibited (including gainers and back flips).
• Only Swimmers with a Green Bracelet are allowed to use the Diving Boards.
• No one is permitted in the Diving Tank to “catch” a person going off the board.
• No skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, or “Heely Shoes” are permitted in the pool area at any time.
• Pool shoes are not permitted in any pool at any time. If deemed necessary via medical note, approved pool shoes may be used only in the pool and not for walking around the facility.
• Music devices may be used only with headphones.
• Food and Drink
- Members are not permitted to bring their own food into the facility.
- Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed into the facility.
- Large coolers are subject to be checked at the discretion of the BHCPY Management.
- Glass containers or bottles are not permitted at BHCPY.
- Members must maintain a clean area at all times.
- Beverages may not be drunk in the pool water or at the water's edge.
• Electronic Cigarettes or Vaping devices are not permitted at BHCPY.
• BHCPY does not store personal equipment (swimming boards, flippers, goggles, beach chairs, etc.). Items left behind are not the responsibility of the BHCPY and are subject to disposal or donation to a charitable organization.
• A daily temperature check will be performed on all staff and patrons. Anyone with a fever in excess of 100.4 degrees will not be allowed in the facility.
• A daily health screening will be performed on all staff and patrons. The following questions will be asked:
- Was fever reducing medicine administered?
- Does the staff/member have fever, cough, or shortness of breath?
- Does any household member have fever, cough, or shortness of breath?
- Has the staff/member been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
• Face masks are OPTIONAL for fully vaccinated members, guests and staff. Members ages 2 and up are encouraged to wear a mask upon entering the facility. Masks/face coverings will not be permitted in the water. We encourage members to social distance from others outside of their household if they choose not to wear a mask. Face masks are required when using the restrooms.
• All touched surfaces including door handles, pool equipment, restrooms, etc. will be frequently disinfected.
• Sanitizing Stations: Frequent hand washing and use of hand sanitizer is encouraged. There are numerous stations around the pool complex for your convenience.
• Borrowed games, books, swimming lesson equipment, noodles, life vests will not be available to borrow from BHCPY.
• Cleaning will be scheduled ongoing throughout the day with high touch surfaces being prioritized including outdoor shower handles, bathrooms, lifeguard stands, railings, umbrellas, check-in desk, etc.
• High contact surfaces (diving boards) may be closed for limited portions of the day (until additional phases of reopening are reached as deemed by the Governor / CDC).
• Members are expected to stay home if they are feeling unwell, are exhibiting any cold symptoms or if they have been exposed to COVID-19.
• If a member or staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19 (fever of 100.4 or higher, cough, shortness of breath) that person will be immediately separated from others and removed from facility.
• If BHCPY becomes aware of a COVID-19 positive case, we shall contact the Health Department for up-to-date guidance. Health officials will provide direction on what steps BHCPY should take. Decisions are dependent on staffing levels, outbreak levels in the community and the severity of illness in the infected individual.
• BHCPY will communicate and monitor developments with local authorities, employees, and families regarding cases, exposures, and updates to policies and procedures.
• All staff members will continue to be trained on health and safety protocols.
• DOH Guidelines: Click here to reference the most recent outdoor pool guidelines from the NJ DOH.
• Membership Registration: New member registration will remain open throughout the pool season.
• Hours of Operation: View hours of operation here. Hours may vary depending on weather and visibility.
• Cleaning/Disinfecting: Our staff will spend time between each session cleaning all frequently used equipment and areas, including outdoor shower handles, bathrooms, lifeguard stands, railings, umbrellas, check-in desk, etc.
• Access Cards: Each member is allowed access to the pool complex individually with a swipe card. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in. However you must still pick up your access card from the membership desk to retrieve the barcode number needed to add to the mobile app. Click here for app download links, features and FAQ, like how to add multiple barcodes.
• Outdoor Showers: Members will be required to rinse at the outdoor shower prior to entering the pool. Footwear must be worn while showering.
• Bathroom: Restrooms will be open. Footwear and face coverings must be worn to use toilets and sinks.
• Water Play Equipment and Games: If desired, please bring your own water play equipment (googles, fins, etc.) and games (board games, books, etc.) for your personal entertainment.
• Lap Swim: Will be available throughout the day. Members must pre-schedule lap swim in advance. Swimmers will be limited to one session of lap swim time a day unless open spots are available. A waitlist will be made available if needed.
• Playground: Will remain closed per state and local guidelines.
• Swim Lessons: Stay tuned for updates. We are evaluating the specifics of our program to see how best to adapt to the DOH requirements.
• Swim Team: Stay tuned for updated 2021 information from the North Jersey Summer Swim League and for updated info on swim team clinics for members.
• Food: Is not permitted in the pool complex.
• Glass: As a safety precaution, no glass bottles or glassware is allowed on the pool deck.
• Updated Waiver: Every member will be required to sign an updated Summit Area YMCA membership waiver prior to return/admittance in our facility. Please click here and complete the waiver for each pool member.
• Training and Certifications: Please be assured that our staff will have undergone 20 hours of online and in-service training related to COVID-19, aquatics safety and risk management.
By accepting your membership, you as the applicant, as well as others you list on your application, agree to release and hold harmless the Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA and the branches of the Summit Area YMCA from any injuries resulting from the use of pool facilities. The applicant and all those listed on their application further agree to comply fully with the rules of the Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA with penalties for non-compliance ranging from member restrictions to full membership revocation.
• All members must conform to these rules and regulations. Members must also follow pool staff instructions and requests. Any misunderstandings or objections should be brought to the attention of the pool management staff. Interpretation and enforcement of all rules shall be at the discretion of the pool management staff.
• The “pool area,” for the purpose of these rules, means the fenced-in area enclosing the pool facility and the parking area.
• All persons using the pool facilities do so at their own risk. The Summit Area YMCA will not be responsible for any accident or injury or loss of personal property.
• Members who damage, misuse, or abuse pool property or other property on pool premises will be liable for the cost of the damage involved and may be subject to permanent suspension from the pool and/or criminal prosecution.
• Pool Management may close all or any portion of the pool facility at any time for necessary reasons including, but not limited to: inclement weather, swim meets, social functions, or for reasons of health and safety of the members and staff of the BHCPY.
• Only trained certified service animals are permitted at the facility. No other animals are permitted on premises.
Policies Amended January 2021
Updated January 2021
What do my membership fees pay for?
The Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA (BHCPY) is overseen and managed by the Summit Area YMCA but is funded solely by membership fees and programming. The BHCPY operates independently from the town of Berkeley Heights and therefore is not subsidized by township funds or taxpayer monies.
Is there a joining fee in addition to membership fees?
NO! There are only the specific membership fees for your selected membership.
I am joining after the pool season started; will my dues be pro-rated?
No. Dues are never prorated.
My child is the only one in the family that uses the pool; can he/she join as an individual?
Your child must be 13 years old or an incoming 7th grader to qualify for a teen membership and enter the facility without an adult.
Do you have a membership category for a single parent and one child?
There is no special category. A family of 2 would qualify for a family membership.
My niece/nephew is visiting for the summer; can I add him/her to my family membership?
The definition of a family membership does not include nieces, nephews or grandchildren. Members of your family must permanently reside in the household to be added to a family membership. Additionally, due to COVID-19 safety protocols, guest will not be permitted at the facility.
Is my membership refundable?
A refund request for cancellation of full season memberships must be made in writing by the participant. A full refund will be provided for full season memberships if cancelled on or prior to the pool's opening day. Cancellations after opening day do not qualify for a refund but will be issued a credit that is valid for 12 months from the date of issue if the membership is cancelled within the first two weeks of the pool opening. A system credit of 75% will be given to members who cancel within the first 7 days. A system credit of 50% will be given to members who cancel within the first 14 days. Full season membership cancellations received after 14 days will not be honored and are not subject to credit. August & September membership rates are non-refundable. Credit may be used at any branch of the Summit Area YMCA. Programs cancelled by the YMCA will be made available for a full refund or credit. Cancellation and refund policy is subject to change. Credit/refund may take up to two weeks to process. Promotional rates for August & September memberships are non-refundable.
Does the Y offer financial assistance?
As a nonprofit, the Summit Area YMCA is committed to enhancing the lives of individuals and families in our community. We do so by offering financial assistance to those with demonstrated need so that they may enjoy all the Y has to offer, regardless of their ability to pay. This helps us ensure that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. For more information about financial assistance or to complete an application, please visit: www.thesay.org/FA.
What happens if I lose my access ID card?
A replacement swipe card is $10 and can be purchased at the front desk or you can request your barcode ID number and scan in using the SAY Mobile App.
I just registered online. When will I receive my access card?
Access cards are issued in person for all members (ages 18 months and above) beginning in May. Each member must swipe their access card at the Front Desk every time they enter the facility. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in. Click here for app download links, features and FAQ, like how to add multiple barcodes.
Can I try the pool out for a day?
A limited amount of guest passes will be available daily for members to purchase beginning June 21. Trial passes will not be available in the 2021 summer season. All guests must be accompanied by a BHCPY member in order to use the pool. Some restrictions apply to total visits and holidays. The guest policy is subject to change at any time. More details will be shared as more information becomes available.
Can I use the pool the same day I sign up?
How do I check-in to the pool?
Access cards are issued in person for all members (ages 18 months and above). Each member must swipe their access card at the Front Desk every time they enter the facility. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in.
What are the requirements of the Diving Tank?
Only swimmers who have earned Green bracelets may use the diving tank.
Can a child with a green wristband be at the pool without an adult?
Children age 13 and over who have ALSO earned a Green wristband after taking the Swim Evaluation are permitted to be at BHCP without an adult (18 or older).
Are life vests or other forms of floatation permitted in the pool?
Only US Coast Guard approved Life Vests or Puddle Jumpers are permitted in the pool. Other flotation devices are NOT permitted in the pool. (Flotation devices include – but are not limited to – inflated inner tubes, inflatable floats, boogie boards, kick boards, noodles)
Does my child need to wear a swim diaper?
YES! Children who are not yet potty trained MUST wear a special swimming diaper underneath a bathing suit.
What is a Swim Evaluation?
All swimmers below the age of 14 are REQUIRED to take a swim evaluation administered by the BHCP Management. Swimmers will be evaluated based on their current swimming abilities. The test is required, even for swimmers who took a swim test in previous seasons. Swim Bracelets will be distributed to swimmers ages 3-14 based on current swimming ability, not age.
Why do children need to wear Swim Bracelets?
Your Swim Bracelet certifies your swimming ability and privileges. These are a quick and efficient way to indicate to lifeguards the swimming ability of each swimmer. Each child under the age of 14 MUST complete a swim evaluation and wear their designated Swim Bracelet at all times.
What if my child does not take the Swim Evaluation?
Swimmers who decline to take the Swim Evaluation will be given a red bracelet, which limits them to the shallow end of the pool.
What does my child have to do during the Swim Evaluation?
Swimmers will be asked to demonstrate their swimming abilities and stamina during a Swim Evaluation that will consist of the following requirements:
• Swim Evaluations will be administered daily throughout the assigned session.
• Swimmers can retake the Swim Evaluation no more than once per week during the allotted time periods. All decisions regarding Swim Evaluation are at the discretion of the BHCP management and are not subject to question. All Swim Evaluations will be logged and kept on file electronically.
Who administers the Swim Evaluation and determines the levels?
Swimming levels are determined at the discretion of the BHCPY Management. Safety is the top priority of the BHCPY Staff and Swim Bracelets will be given based on current swimming ability.
When is my child able to take his/her Swim Evaluation?
At the start of the season, specific evaluation dates and times will be determined and shared with pool members. We recognize that the start of the season will require a large number of tests and we plan to accommodate accordingly.
Can my child retake the Swim Evaluation?
Yes! Swimmers can retake the Swim Evaluation no more than once per week during the daily allotted times.
When will my child receive their Swim Bracelet?
Each time members sign into the pool they are given waterproof paper bracelets. Each time members arrive at the pool the will receive new Swim Bracelets.
What happens if I forget my Swim Bracelet?
Swim Bracelets will be given to swimmers each day.
Can friends of my family borrow my Swim Bracelet?
No. Borrowing a Swim Bracelet is not permitted. The borrowing and trading of Swim Bracelets will result in the suspension and/or revocation of membership without refund for the season.
Are alcoholic beverages permitted on pool grounds?
Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on pool grounds.
Is smoking permitted on pool grounds?
Neither smoking nor electronic cigarettes are allowed on BHCPY premises.
Is there a snack Bar or food service at BHCPY?
NO. Members are encouraged to order locally for delivery to BHCPY.
Can I bring in food and drinks from home?
Food is not permitted on the pool deck this season. All beverages must be in plastic or aluminum containers. NO GLASS BOTTLES ALLOWED.
Can personal materials or chairs be stored at the BHCPY Facility?
No. The BHCPY is not responsible for any personal materials that are left at the Facility.
How do I apply for a job at the BHCPY?
Visit www.thesay.org/employment to view any open positions.
Subject to change based upon the guidelines from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the local health department.
How will BHCPY handle social distancing requirements?
Members will be encouraged to social distance from those outside their families and seating is spread out around the deck that follows social distancing requirements.
Do I have to wear a face covering at BHCPY?
All members (ages 2+) are required to wear a face covering when entering the facility and at the time of temperature check/health screening. Following that, face coverings are not mandatory while outdoors for anyone who has received the Covid-19 vaccination. Masks/face coverings will not be permitted in the water. We encourage members to keep a social distance of 6’ from others if they choose not to wear one. Face coverings will be required when using the restrooms and/or locker rooms.
What cleaning protocols are being adopted due to COVID-19?
BHCPY will be completing full facility cleanings every two (2) hours. In addition to this, high touched surfaces (hand ails, pool equipment, restrooms, etc.) will have an increase in cleaning.
Will procedures for chlorinating the pool be changed?
The pools will be chlorinated as normal, following the requirements of the New Jersey Public Recreational Bathing Code (N.J.A.C. 8:26) and local health department. Chemical information will be taken, logged, and tracked every two (2) hours. Proper chlorination is known to and will kill the COVID-19 virus within 30 minutes.
What will be expected of members during the 2021 season?
Members will be expected to follow social distancing requirements (remaining 6 feet away from others outside of their family), wear a face covering when entering and if when going indoors to the restroom and/or locker rooms, and self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms (staying home if sick or displaying any symptoms).
What can I expect when I arrive at BHCPY?
All members entering can expect to have their temperature taken (temperature must be under 100.4 at the time) and receive a verbal health screen with the following questions asked:
-Are you or any household member experiencing any symptoms that are related to COVID-19? Fever, chills, body aches, etc.
-Have you or any household member been in close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
-Have you or any household member taken any fever reducing medicine in the past 24 hours?
What policies have been put in place to ensure the safety of the staff?
All staff members will be trained in COVID-19 policies and procedures. Staff members will be required to a temperature check and health screen before shifts. While at the height of the deck, all employees will wear face coverings until further notice. Additionally, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be available to all staff members and the sharing of equipment will be limited.
Will members have access to lap lanes?
Yes, members will have to pre-schedule a time slot to use the lap swim lanes. Per the Governor’s executive order, multiple swimmers may swim in a lane as long as they maintain a social distance of 6’. When sharing lanes members are required to swim on one side of the lane and remain on their own side.
Will members have access to the diving boards?
Set times for the diving boards and slide will be determined.
Are guests permitted during the 2021 season?
A limited amount of guest passes will be available daily for members to purchase. Trial passes will not be available in the 2021 summer season. All guests must be accompanied by a BHCPY member in order to use the pool. Some restrictions apply to total visits and holidays. The guest policy is subject to change at any time. More details will be shared as more information becomes available
Will members be permitted to bring food to the facility?
Members will not be permitted to bring food to the facility to promote additional cleanliness of the facility. Drinks will be permitted and recommended as common drinking fountains will not be available for use. No glass or alcoholic beverages are permitted at the facility.
Why will Life Vests, Puddle Jumpers, or Swimming Equipment not be provided to members during the 2021 season?
As per the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the local health department, limiting the use of sharable items is strongly recommended.
Is my membership refundable?
A refund request for cancellation of full season memberships must be made in writing by the participant. A full refund will be provided for full season memberships if cancelled on or prior to the pool's opening day. Cancellations after opening day do not qualify for a refund but will be issued a credit that is valid for 12 months from the date of issue if the membership is cancelled within the first two weeks of the pool opening. A system credit of 75% will be given to members who cancel within the first 7 days. A system credit of 50% will be given to members who cancel within the first 14 days. Full season membership cancellations received after 14 days will not be honored and are not subject to credit. Credit may be used at any branch of the Summit Area YMCA. Programs cancelled by the YMCA will be made available for a full refund or credit. Cancellation and refund policy is subject to change. Credit/refund may take up to two weeks to process. Promotional rates for August & September memberships are nonrefundable.
• Reservations for daily lap swim sessions will be available to members in 2021. View schedules and make reservations online or using the Find a Class tab on the SAY Mobile App. Once your in the Find a Class tab, click on Locations then select Berkeley Heights Community Pool.
LAP SWIM SCHEDULES
• Per the Governor’s executive order, multiple swimmers may swim in a lane as long as they maintain a social distance of 6’. When sharing lanes members are required to swim on one side of the lane and remain on their own side. Circle swimming is not permitted.
• Morning lap swim only time slots (any reservations prior to 12:00 PM) provide access to 1 shared lap swim lane for 45 minutes from reservation start time for lap swimming only. There is NO access to the main pool or lounging prior, during or after these time slots.
As a reminder, every member is be required to sign an updated Summit Area YMCA membership waiver prior to their first entrance to our facility. If you haven't already, please click here and complete the waiver for each pool member. This only has to be completed once.
If you have specific questions pertaining to the updated policies, please contact us using the form below or call us at 908-464-8373 during business hours.