The Summit YMCA is hosting the annual Deep Freeze Swim Meet this Saturday & Sunday, February 4 & 5. As a result the pools & gymnasium will be closed. Parking around the Y will be available but limited. Members may/ visit the Berkeley Heights YMCA or other local YMCAs as part of their nationwide membership benefit.
Updated May 2022
The Township of Springfield has partnered with the Summit Area YMCA to operate the Springfield Community Pool for the 2022 summer season. The rules and regulations detailed below are implemented for the safety of pool members, community and staff and your safety remains our #1 priority. Under the guidance from the Governor and the New Jersey Department of Health (DOH) we have incorporated and implemented several new policies and measures into our operations in regards to safety, capacity, cleaning, etc. in order to keep you and your loved ones safe while you enjoy the pool complex.
Summit Area YMCA Management reserves the right to adopt additional or supplemental rules as needed. All rules will be posted throughout the pool facility and strictly enforced at all times.
• Membership Fees are determined by the estimated cost it will take to run and operate the entire facility. The SCP operates independently from the town of Springfield and therefore is not subsidized. For more information on membership types please click here.
• Access ID Cards: All members (over 18 months old) are required to scan in with their access ID card upon entrance to our facilities. Access ID cards are issued to members individually and are not transferrable. To receive your access ID card and take your photo, visit the membership desk of the Berkeley Heights YMCA or Summit YMCA: Tuesday – Thursday from 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 6:00-8:00 PM or Friday & Saturday from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM. A government issued photo ID must be presented for anyone over the age of 18. Prior to entering any YMCA facility, all visitors must complete our participation waiver online at www.thesay.org/waiver. After receiving your access ID card, you may use the SAY Mobile App to scan in for convenience. Click here for app download links, features, and FAQ, like how to add multiple barcodes. Members who lose ID swipe cards may purchase a new one for $10 or use the SAY Mobile App.
• A refund request for cancellation of full season memberships must be made in writing by the participant. A full refund will be provided for full season memberships if cancelled on or prior to the pool's opening day. Cancellations after opening day do not qualify for a refund but will be issued a credit that is valid for 12 months from the date of issue if the membership is cancelled within the first two weeks of the pool opening. A system credit of 75% will be given to members who cancel within the first 7 days. A system credit of 50% will be given to members who cancel within the first 14 days. Full season membership cancellations received after 14 days will not be honored and are not subject to credit. Credits may be used at any branch of the Summit Area YMCA. Programs cancelled by the YMCA will be made available for a full refund or credit. Cancellation and refund policy is subject to change. Credit/refund may take up to two weeks to process. If offered, promotional membership rates for August & September are non-refundable.
• All guests must be accompanied by a SCP member or be a member of the Summit Area YMCA. In addition this year we will have a one day trial pass available to purchase one time during the season for any non SCP/SAY member over the age of 18. Some restrictions apply like limitations on some weekends/holidays or on days with special events are planned to ensure members have access to our facility comfortably. The guest policy is subject to change at any time. Click below for complete details.
• Both the Main and Kiddy Pool are available for use by all members. Children that are not fully toilet trained must wear a specific manufactured swimming disposable diaper. Children not fully toilet trained in the Main Pool MUST remain in the Red Zone of the pool with a parent/guardian in the water at all times.
• Any person showing evidence of skin disease, sore inflamed eyes, colds, cough, anal or ear discharge, or any communicable disease, excessive sunburn, open blisters, cuts or bandages, may be refused admission to the pool area. Individuals who have experienced episodes of diarrhea and/or vomiting should refrain from entering the pool for at least 48 hours since their latest episode to protect the general population.
• Any person that has had a temperature, cough, or has displayed cold, flu, or COVID-19 symptoms must be symptom free for at least 48 hours prior to entering the facility.
• The SCP is an alcohol and smoke-free facility. Smoking or alcohol use is not permitted on the grounds. Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in suspension of membership with no refund.
• It is required that all members rinse off in a shower prior to entering the pool.
• Appropriate swim attire must be worn at all times while in the pool. Non-swimwear is not permitted in the pool at any time. Additionally, swimwear must appropriately cover swimmers, so as to maintain a family friendly environment. Failure to adhere to this policy may result in suspension of the membership.
• Any change of clothing, diapers or bathing suits may not occur on the deck area of the pool.
• Swimmers are only permitted to enter the facility only when lifeguards are on duty.
• Diving is allowed only off the diving boards in the Dive Tank. The only exception made is for swim lessons, swim team practices, and swim meets when swimmers are under the direct supervision of coaches and instructors.
• The Dive Tank is for diving board use only. Each diving board may be used by only one person at a time.
• Safe jumping (into the pool) is permitted. The Pool Management may make exceptions to this rule by limiting jumping to designated areas at specific times of the day. For your safety, head first diving is not allowed in any area except in deep water where the diving boards are located.
• No inflatable toys and/or water paraphernalia are allowed in the pool area. Pool Management may designate a time when swimmers may use balls and other water play items (during special events or by SCP management discretion).
• Running, pushing, towel snapping, profane language, horseplay, or other dangerous behaviors are prohibited.
• The Kiddy Pool is for children under the age of 6.
• The Lap Lanes are designated for lap swimmers only - reservations required. Those who are not swimming laps may not enter or cross through the Lap Lanes.
• Safety is our top priority. All swimmers ages 14 and younger are required to take a swim evaluation test which is administered daily by SCP staff. Swimmers are evaluated on their current swimming abilities regardless of whether the swimmer may have taken a swim test in a previous season. Swim bracelets are distributed to swimmers ages 3-14 based on current swimming ability (not age) and must be worn at all times.
• Swimmers who decline to take the Swim Evaluation must wear a red bracelet, which limits them to the shallow end of the pool.
• Swimmers can retake the Swim Evaluation only once each week. All decisions regarding Swim Evaluation are at the discretion of the SCP management and are not subject to question. Swim Evaluation results will kept on file electronically.
• The Swim Evaluation test current swimming ability and stamina of the swimmer and involves the following:
• The dive tank must be clear before diving off the diving board or using the slide.
• Divers may only take one bounce on the board. Only forward selection dives permitted. Dives which propel a person towards the board are prohibited (including gainers and back flips).
• Only Swimmers with a Green Bracelet are allowed to use the Diving Boards or the slide.
• No one is permitted in the Diving Tank to “catch” a person going off the board or the slide.
• No skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, or “Heely Shoes” are permitted in the pool area at any time.
• Pool shoes are not permitted in any pool at any time. If deemed necessary via medical note, approved pool shoes may be used only in the pool and not for walking around the facility.
• Music devices may be used only with headphones.
• The SCP is an alcohol and smoke-free facility. Smoking or alcohol use is not permitted on the grounds. Electronic Cigarettes or Vaping devices are also not permitted. Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in suspension of membership with no refund.
• Food and Drink
- Members are not permitted to bring their own food into the facility.
- Non-alcoholic beverages are allowed but glass containers/bottles are not permitted.
- Large coolers are subject to be checked at the discretion of the SCPY Management.
- Members must maintain a clean area at all times.
- Beverages may not be drunk in the pool water or at the water's edge.
• Members are encouraged to bring their own chairs for every visit. A limited number of chairs will be available on the premises.
• SCP does not store personal equipment (swimming boards, flippers, goggles, beach chairs, etc.). Items left behind are not the responsibility of the SCP and are subject to disposal or donation to a charitable organization.
• Face masks are OPTIONAL for all members, guests and staff. Masks/face coverings will not be permitted in the water. We encourage members to social distance.
• All touched surfaces including door handles, pool equipment, restrooms, etc. will be frequently disinfected.
• Sanitizing Stations: Frequent hand washing and use of hand sanitizer is encouraged. There are numerous stations around the pool complex for your convenience.
• Borrowed games, books, swimming lesson equipment, noodles, life vests will not be available to borrow from SCP.
• Cleaning will be scheduled ongoing throughout the day with high touch surfaces being prioritized including outdoor shower handles, bathrooms, lifeguard stands, railings, umbrellas, check-in desk, etc.
• Members are expected to stay home if they are feeling unwell, are exhibiting any cold symptoms or if they have been exposed to COVID-19.
• If a member or staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19 (fever of 100.4 or higher, cough, shortness of breath) that person will be immediately separated from others and removed from facility.
• All staff members will continue to be trained on health and safety protocols.
• Membership Registration: New member registration will remain open throughout the pool season.
• Hours of Operation: Varies. Click here for detailed information. Pool hours subject to change depending on weather and visibility.
• Access Cards: Each member is allowed access to the pool complex individually with a swipe card. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in. However you must still pick up your access card from the membership desk to retrieve the barcode number needed to add to the mobile app. Click here for app download links, features and FAQ, like how to add multiple barcodes.
• Outdoor Showers: Members will be required to rinse at the outdoor shower prior to entering the pool. Footwear must be worn while showering.
• Bathroom: Footwear and face coverings must be worn to use toilets and sinks.
• Water Play Equipment and Games: If desired, please bring your own water play equipment (googles, fins, etc.) and games (board games, books, etc.) for your personal entertainment.
• Lap Swim: Will be available throughout the day. Members must pre-schedule lap swim reservations in advance. Swimmers will be limited to one session of lap swim time a day unless open spots are available. A waitlist will be made available if needed.
• Swim Lessons
• Swim Team
• Food: You are not permitted to bring outside food in the pool complex but there is a snack bar at SCP.
• Updated Waiver: Every member will be required to sign an updated Summit Area YMCA membership waiver prior to admittance in our facility. Please click here and complete the waiver for each pool member. This only has to be completed once.
• Training and Certifications: Please be assured that our staff will have undergone 20 hours of online and in-service training related to aquatics safety and risk management.
By accepting your membership, you as the applicant, as well as others you list on your application, agree to release and hold harmless the Springfield Community Pool and the branches of the Summit Area YMCA from any injuries resulting from the use of pool facilities. The applicant and all those listed on their application further agree to comply fully with the rules of the Springfield Community Pool with penalties for non-compliance ranging from member restrictions to full membership revocation.
• All members must conform to these rules and regulations. Members must also follow pool staff instructions and requests. Any misunderstandings or objections should be brought to the attention of the pool management staff. Interpretation and enforcement of all rules shall be at the discretion of the pool management staff.
• The “pool area,” for the purpose of these rules, means the fenced-in area enclosing the pool facility and the parking area.
• All persons using the pool facilities do so at their own risk. The Summit Area YMCA will not be responsible for any accident or injury or loss of personal property.
• Members who damage, misuse, or abuse pool property or other property on pool premises will be liable for the cost of the damage involved and may be subject to permanent suspension from the pool and/or criminal prosecution.
• Pool Management may close all or any portion of the pool facility at any time for necessary reasons including, but not limited to: inclement weather, swim meets, social functions, or for reasons of health and safety of the members and staff of the SCP.
• Only trained certified service animals are permitted at the facility. No other animals are permitted on premises.
What do my membership fees pay for?
The Springfield Community Pool (SCP) is overseen and managed by the Summit Area YMCA but is funded solely by membership fees and programming. The SCP operates independently from the Township of Springfield and therefore is not subsidized by township funds or taxpayer monies.
Is there a joining fee in addition to membership fees?
NO! There are only the specific membership fees for your selected membership.
I am joining after the pool season started; will my dues be pro-rated?
No. Dues are never prorated.
My child is the only one in the family that uses the pool; can he/she join as an individual?
Your child must be 13 years old or an incoming 7th grader to qualify for a teen membership and have ALSO have earned a Green wristband after taking the Swim Evaluation to be permitted to be at SCP without an adult (18 or older). A Youth Add-on membership may be purchased for children 12 years old or younger as but only as an add-on to an adult, family or senior membership. The youth member must be accompanied by an adult on the membership at all times while visiting the pool regardless of their swimming abilities.
Do you have a membership category for a single parent and one child?
There is no special category. A family of 2 would qualify for a family membership.
My niece/nephew is visiting for the summer; can I add him/her to my family membership?
The definition of a family membership does not include nieces, nephews or grandchildren as they must permanently reside in the household to be included in the family membership. However you may purchase an additional non-resident youth or non-resident teen add-on membership or a daily guest pass. All youth add-on members or guests must be accompanied by an adult on the membership at all times while visiting the pool.
Is my membership refundable?
A refund request for cancellation of full season memberships must be made in writing by the participant. A full refund will be provided for full season memberships if cancelled on or prior to the pool's opening day. Cancellations after opening day do not qualify for a refund but will be issued a credit that is valid for 12 months from the date of issue if the membership is cancelled within the first two weeks of the pool opening. A system credit of 75% will be given to members who cancel within the first 7 days. A system credit of 50% will be given to members who cancel within the first 14 days. Full season membership cancellations received after 14 days will not be honored and are not subject to credit. Credit may be used at any branch of the Summit Area YMCA. Programs cancelled by the YMCA will be made available for a full refund or credit. Cancellation and refund policy is subject to change. Credit/refund may take up to two weeks to process. If offered, promotional rates for August & September memberships are non-refundable.
Does the Y offer financial assistance?
As a nonprofit, the Summit Area YMCA is committed to enhancing the lives of individuals and families in our community. We do so by offering financial assistance to those with demonstrated need so that they may enjoy all the Y has to offer, regardless of their ability to pay. This helps us ensure that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. For more information about financial assistance or to complete an application, please visit: www.thesay.org/FA.
What happens if I lose my access ID card?
A replacement swipe card is $10 and can be purchased at the front desk or you can request your barcode ID number and scan in using the SAY Mobile App.
I just registered online. When will I receive my access ID card?
Access cards are issued in person for all members (ages 18 months and above) beginning May 24. Each member must swipe their access ID card at the Front Desk every time they enter the facility. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in. Click here for app download links, features and FAQ, like how to add multiple barcodes.
Can I try the pool out for a day?
One day trial passes are available in the 2022 summer season for purchase.
Can I use the pool the same day I sign up?
How do I check-in to the pool?
Access ID cards are issued in person for all members (ages 18 months and above). Each member must swipe their access card at the Front Desk every time they enter the facility. Members may also use the SAY Mobile App (available for Android & Apple devices) for easy check-in.
What are the requirements of the Diving Tank?
Only swimmers who have earned Green bracelets may use the diving tank.
Can a child with a green wristband be at the pool without an adult?
Children age 13 and over who have ALSO earned a Green wristband after taking the Swim Evaluation are permitted to be at SCP without an adult (18 or older).
Are life vests or other forms of floatation permitted in the pool?
Only US Coast Guard approved Life Vests or Puddle Jumpers are permitted in the pool. Other flotation devices are NOT permitted in the pool. (Flotation devices include – but are not limited to – inflated inner tubes, inflatable floats, boogie boards, kick boards, noodles)
Does my child need to wear a swim diaper?
YES! Children who are not yet potty trained MUST wear a special swimming diaper underneath a bathing suit.
What is a Swim Evaluation?
All swimmers below the age of 14 are REQUIRED to take a swim evaluation administered by the SCP Management. Swimmers will be evaluated based on their current swimming abilities. The test is required, even for swimmers who took a swim test in previous seasons. Swim Bracelets will be distributed to swimmers ages 3-14 based on current swimming ability, not age.
Why do children need to wear Swim Bracelets?
Your Swim Bracelet certifies your swimming ability and privileges. These are a quick and efficient way to indicate to lifeguards the swimming ability of each swimmer. Each child under the age of 14 MUST complete a swim evaluation and wear their designated Swim Bracelet at all times.
What if my child does not take the Swim Evaluation?
Swimmers who decline to take the Swim Evaluation will be given a red bracelet, which limits them to the shallow end of the pool.
What does my child have to do during the Swim Evaluation?
Swimmers will be asked to demonstrate their swimming abilities and stamina during a Swim Evaluation that will consist of the following requirements...
• Swim evaluations will be administered daily throughout the assigned session.
• Swimmers can retake the swim evaluation no more than once per week during the allotted time periods. All decisions regarding swim evaluation are at the discretion of the SCP management and are not subject to question. All swim evaluations will be logged and kept on file electronically.
Who administers the swim evaluations and determines the levels?
Swimming levels are determined at the discretion of the SCP Management. Safety is the top priority of the SCP Staff and swim bracelets will be given based on current swimming ability.
When is my child able to take his/her swim evaluation?
At the start of the season, specific evaluation dates and times will be determined and shared with pool members. We recognize that the start of the season will require a large number of tests and we plan to accommodate accordingly.
Can my child retake the swim evaluation?
Yes! Swimmers can retake the swim evaluation, but no more than once per week during the daily allotted times.
When will my child receive their Swim Bracelet?
Each time members sign into the pool they are given waterproof paper bracelets. Each time members arrive at the pool the will receive new swim bracelets.
What happens if I forget my Swim Bracelet?
Swim bracelets will be given to swimmers each day.
Can friends of my family borrow my swim bracelet?
No. Borrowing a swim bracelet is not permitted. The borrowing and trading of swim bracelets will result in the suspension and/or revocation of membership without refund for the season.
Coming Soon - Explore swim lessons programs for members and non-members and find the right program for you!
Interested in joining the Springfield Community Pool Swim Team open to youth ages 5-17? We are excited to begin a great summer season in 2022! A special welcome to all our new team members and we look forward to seeing our returning swimmers!
• Lap swim at the Springfield Community Pool is available to Springfield Community Pool members only. Not available to Summit Area YMCA members without a SCP membership.
• Reservations are required for daily lap swim sessions. Book your spot here.
• Morning lap swim only time slots (any reservations prior to 1:00 PM) are for lap swimming only. There is NO access to the main pool or lounging prior, during or after these time slots.
• As a reminder, every member is be required to sign an updated Summit Area YMCA membership waiver prior to their first entrance to our facility. If you haven't already, please click here and complete the waiver for each pool member. This only has to be completed once.
• If you have specific questions pertaining to the updated policies, please contact us or call us at 908-273-3330 during business hours.