7th Grade is a pivotal and transitional time, through our commitment to supporting and encouraging youth to make good decisions and form habits that lead to a healthy lifestyle, the Summit Area YMCA proudly offers free memberships to all 7th grade students who live or attend school within our service area (Berkeley Heights, Gillette, Millburn, New Providence, Short Hills, Springfield, Stirling and Summit).
Available at both the Berkeley Heights YMCA and Summit YMCA, this program not only provides access to the fitness center and open gym but opportunities for students of all backgrounds to be inspired to learn new things, get involved in community projects, form wellness habits that lead to a healthy lifestyle and socialize with peers in a safe, supervised environment outside of school. The program also hosts special events and activities exclusive to the program participants.
• Keep students active and engaged
• Increase physical and mental wellness
• Develop healthy exercise habits including safety and proper technique
• Socialize with peers in a safe, supervised environment
• Encourage involvement in community events and volunteer projects
• Is a 7th grade student in 2023-2024 school year
• Lives or attends school in Berkeley Heights, Gillette, Millburn, New Providence, Short Hills, Springfield, Stirling, or Summit
• Attends the mandatory virtual orientation with parents/guardians
• Completes YMCA safety and introduction to fitness demo within one month of sign up
• Agrees to abide by YMCA Code of Conduct
• Access to Berkeley Heights YMCA & Summit YMCA
• Use of Teen Center, Fitness Center, Open Gym, Group Exercise Classes & Indoor Pools
• Special events and recreational activities exclusive to program participants
• Reduced member pricing for Y programs
After registration, program participants will receive an email with additional information about the membership and program details. In order to activate the membership, a parent/guardian is required to attend our program orientation (held virtually every other Wednesday at 6:30-7:15 PM). During the orientation, parents/gaurdians will review YMCA and program policies, receive additional information about the membership benefits, fitness demos, event activity calendars, answer questions and more. After attending the orientation, each student must then schedule and complete two fitness demos. Fitness demos focus on safety and proper technique.
Once completing the mandatory orientation and fitness demo, a teen membership to the Summit Area YMCA will be activated for the student that is valid from August 14, 2023 - July 31st, 2024. The membership provides access to all available offerings at both the Berkeley Heights YMCA & Summit YMCA including reduced member pricing for paid programs (please note, some activities may be restricted by age).
For questions or additional program information, please contact
Chief Operating Officer
SUMMIT AREA YMCA