Updated September 2021
Class Policies & Reservation Guidelines:
• Group exercise classes at the Berkeley Heights YMCA or Summit YMCA are included as a benefit to Summit Area YMCA members.
• We request participants to arrive at least 5 minutes before the start of class for ample time to check-in, receive your health screening, set up your equipment and be prepared when class begins.
• Since group size is limited, pre-reservations are recommended for all classes via the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules.
• Guests are allowed to participate in group exercise. Review guest policies here.
• Summit Area YMCA staff cannot make group exercise class reservations on your behalf.
• Class reservations open one  week in advance at class start time via the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules.
• Class reservations close one  hour prior to class start time via the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules. The 1-hour close window includes the ability to make reservations.
• Class reservations can be cancelled up to two  hours prior to class start time via the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules. The cancellation feature is available the same way reservations are made, via the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules.
• If you book a spot in a class and do not cancel your reservation before the 2 hour close window, you will be charged a late cancellation/no show fee of $10. We do not accept phone calls or emails to cancel class reservations at this time.
• Late arrivals will have forfeited their spot even if they have a reservation and will be charged a late cancellation/no show fee of $10.
• New no show rules: After an accumulation of 3 no shows within 7 days, you will be restricted from making further reservations for 7 days.
• Group exercise class participants must be a minimum of 13 years old and a minimum of 16 years old for Hot Yoga, Primal Fitness, TRX & MX4.
• For the safety of all participants, cell phone use is prohibited once class begins.
• Appropriate exercise attire and footwear is required.
• All outdoor classes are weather dependent. If we have to cancel or move the class indoors due to weather, you will be notified by email as soon as decision is made. Please check your email prior to class.
• All group fitness rooms that have locks will remain locked when classes are not in session.
• If you decide to leave the class early (whether you know in advance or if it's last-minute), please notify the instructor that you will be leaving.
• In the event that there are no participants by the time class begins, the instructor will wait 10 minutes before cancelling the class.
• The Y reserves the right to cancel classes with low enrollment.
• Our instructors have the right to ask a participant to leave if any of these guidelines are not followed.
• These Group Exercise Guidelines & Policies are included as part of the Summit Area YMCA’s Member Code of Conduct Policy and participants who continually abuse the policies may have their group exercise privileges removed indefinitely.
• Everyone must complete a participation waiver (below) online before attending any class. This only has to be completed once.
Please use the SAY Mobile App or visit our online schedules to find group exercise class descriptions, schedules, or to make class reservations.
For instructions on how to make or cancel group exercise reservations on the SAY Mobile App or our online schedules, please refer to our FAQ or ask a staff member for assistance upon your next visit to the Y.
Are you currently experiencing the following symptoms that are related to COVID-19?
• Fever of 100.4 or greater
• Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
• Sore throat
• New loss of taste or smell
• Head or muscle aches
• Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting
We know that staying fit and active are key components to a healthy lifestyle that can help reduce stress, prevent illness and build a strong immune system. While we would love to see you at the Y, if you are unable to join us in-person you don't have to miss your workout! As an advocate for healthy living regardless of circumstance, the Summit Area YMCA has created a brand new Virtual Fitness Studio as a benefit to your membership that provides you with a variety of online exercise options for you to complete your workout, your way -- whenever and wherever you choose!
Our virtual fitness studio includes a growing library of on-demand workout videos with new fitness classes added weekly from your favorite instructors at the Y, that you can search through by category, instructor, intensity, target area and more.
Please note: The SAY Virtual Fitness Studio is hosted on a private platform for Summit Area YMCA members only.