If you’re an avid Pickleball player or recently hooked on this fun paddle sport, come on over to the Summit YMCA & Berkeley Heights YMCA to enjoy a competitive game in a social atmosphere while learning new strategies to better your play. Never played Pickleball before? You may be surprised by how quickly you catch on to the fastest growing sport in America! It’s a great sport for all ages and abilities that provides not only healthy exercise and activity, but also allows for positive social interaction.
The Summit Area YMCA offers both instructional pickleball sessions, instructed by a USA Pickleball Ambassador, open-play pickleball pick-up game options and leagues for beginners and advanced players! Did you know, the new Berkeley Heights YMCA was the first indoor location in New Jersey with distinguished pickleball court lined gym floors?!
Pickleball is available almost everyday at the Y and equipment is provided, although you are welcome to bring your own. Browse league and instructional clinics below or explore daily schedules online for open-play pick-up games.
Pickleball is a paddle sport created over 50 years ago by three dads trying to keep their kids occupied during the dog days of summer. Today Pickleball is played by more than 2.5 million people in the United States according to the Sports and Fitness Industry Association, said to be the fastest growing sport in America.
Pickleball, was created for all skill levels, combining the elements of tennis, ping pong and badminton. The rules are simple, the game is easy to learn, it's tons of fun and a decent workout.
While Pickleball can be a competitive workout, it’s easy to learn and play! Pickleball is played on a court smaller than a tennis court with a net, a paddle and a ball similar to that of a wiffle ball. You can play inside or outside or even create your own makeshift court. You can play singles or doubles and the scoring and rules are easy to follow. To learn the rules of Pickleball and more about the sport, visit: www.usapa.org.
Join our Pickleball Leagues with avid players, open to ages 18+. Improve your game, work on shot selection, dinking, lobs, overheads, net play, teamwork and court positioning. View division definitions here.
Lessons provide a foundation and introduction to Pickleball that is rooted in fun, fitness, and fundamentals. Participants will learn the basic rules of the game, how to serve, net play, teamwork, and court positioning.
• Brand new to the game.
• Moves around the court in a balanced and safe manner.
• Gets some serves “in”.
• Understands aspects of scorekeeping, rules, and where to stand on the court during serve, receive of serve, and general play.
• Has some basic stroke skills, backhand, forehand, volley but has obvious weaknesses.
• Familiar with where to stand in doubles play.
1. Pickleball was invented more than 50 years ago in the summer of 1965 by three dads from Washington State to keep their bored kids busy.
2. It has nothing to do with pickles! It got its name from one of its founder’s dogs – a cocker spaniel named Pickles who chased the ball while its owner played the game. However, there has been some debate on how the name was originated.
3. It’s a sport that everybody can play -- for all levels, ages and abilities. In fact, there’s even rules for wheelchair adaptability.
4. To be “pickled” means you scored no points in the whole game. For example, if you lose 11-0, you’ve been pickled!
5. The "kitchen" is not a place for eating pickles! It’s a slang term for the non-volley zone.
For questions about participation policies and/or registration, please contact Allison Zeimann at (908) 273-3330 Ext. 1196 or Allison.Zeimann@thesay.org.
The Summit Area YMCA builds stronger communities with programs and services that help all individuals learn, grow, and thrive in a welcoming, inclusive environment. In fact, the Y offers activities and programs for everyone -- every day! Find the program that’s right for you.