At the YMCA, we build strong, secure, connected and confident swimmers. Our swim programs work on developing sequence based skill sets that organically build on one another. Students learn faster, are safer in water sooner, and progress quickly through the various stages until they succeed.
Please note, an active Summit Area YMCA membership is required to register all swim lesson participants at the Summit YMCA's indoor pools. If you are not an active member, we invite you to join either the Berkeley Heights YMCA or the Summit YMCA (now with a $0 Join Fee) so that you can take advantage of all that the Y has to offer! Youth memberships are $105 billed annually with no join fees.
Looking for more? Explore outdoor swim lesson programs at the Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA and the Springfield Community Pool.
BERKELEY HEIGHTS COMMUNITY POOL AT THE YMCA
Small group swim lessons at the Summit YMCA
Students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning benchmark skills: Swim, Float, Swim and Jump, Push, Turn, Grab, etc.
• Group swim lessons are 30 minutes per week, one month sessions.
• Your lesson day and time remains the same throughout the program year, children progress through swim lessons until they succeed.
• There will be a maximum of 2-3 children per lane for group swim lessons.
• Current availability for ages 6-8: Monday - Thursday, 5:45-6:15 PM or 6:20-6:50 PM
Staff recommended private swim lessons at the Summit YMCA
Private (one-on-one) swim lessons are adapted to your swim expectations. Sessions are offered as four 30-minute lessons to be completed within a four-week time frame.
• Monday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 5:30-7:00 PM
• Tuesday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 5:30-7:00 PM
• Wednesday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 5:30-7:00 PM
• Thursday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 5:30-7:00 PM
• Friday, 10:00 AM-2:00 PM or 5:30-7:00 PM
• Saturday, 1:30-2:15 PM
• Sunday, 8:00-11:30 AM
30 Minute Swim Classes at the Summit YMCA
With a parent*, infants and toddlers learn to be comfortable in the water and develop swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences. Parents learn about water safety, drowning prevention, and the importance of supervision. Infants and toddlers are introduced to the aquatic environment through exploration, encouraging them to enjoy themselves while learning about the water.
*Please note: We define "parent" broadly, to include any adults with primary responsibilities for raising children; including biological parents, adoptive parents, legal guardians, step-parents, grandparents, and/or any other type of parenting relationship.
Pre-Swim Team Program at the Summit YMCA
Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn advanced swimming skills needed to swim competitively. Increase speed, endurance and enhance techniques in the water.
• Evaluation required for children to be in this program.
• Must be 6-16 years old, able to swim 25 yards of freestyle and backstroke.
• Participation in Pre-Swim Team does not guarantee acceptance to the Summit Area YMCA Swim Team. Fall tryouts are required.
**Children (ages 6-16) currently in Stroke Introduction, Stroke Development, Stroke Mechanics or Pathways can automatically advance to the Pre-Swim Team Program.
Adaptive Swim Lessons at the Summit YMCA are customized swim lessons for children with diverse abilities.
Swimming aids in relaxation, teaches them new skills, helps to build muscle and stamina, all while increasing self-esteem and confidence. Skills are taught based on each child's individual ability. Parents are encouraged but not required to get in with their child. Swim lessons are 30 minutes held in our indoor heated pool at the Summit YMCA.