Please note: Due to new safety measures and limitations, some of our program offerings have changed and/or may be temporarily unavailable. For specific questions about available programs, registration, participation policies and more, please contact us directly.
Join us at the Summit YMCA and get certified by the American Red Cross to be a lifeguard! Learn the skills and knowledge to perform water rescues. Participants will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED. Course curriculum includes classroom work, practical skills in the water and on land and two final written exams.
All lifeguarding courses follow the course requirements of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding program. Both lifeguard certification courses and recertification courses are blended learning courses (i.e., approximately 7.5 hours of online coursework PLUS approximately 25 hours of scheduled, mandatory in-person class time for lifeguarding; 12 hours for recertification). All blended course work must be completed prior to the first class session. Failure to complete the blended material will result in dismissal from the class. Participants must pass a swimming pre-test before taking the course (see below for more information). Course curriculum includes classroom work, practical skills in the water and on land and two final written exams. Attendance is required at all classes. Participants who successfully complete the course receive a certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and AED for the Professional Rescuer that is valid for 2 years.
• Be at least 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled lesson of this course,
• Attend all class sessions,
• Complete the required online coursework: ARC: Lifeguarding Certification and Recertification Online Course Work Link
• Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills in the pre-test:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously (any combination of front crawl and breaststroke). Swim goggles may be used.
2. Retrieve a weighted 10 lb brick from a minimum depth of 7 ft of water and then swim 20 yards on back while holding the weight out of the water. This must be accomplished in 1 minute and 30 seconds. Swim goggles may not be worn.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using ONLY the legs.
Upon satisfactory completion of the pre-test you will then be invited to register for the lifeguard certification class.
1. ALL blended work (7 ½ hours of online material) must be completed prior to the first class meeting. Participants will have to show printed copy of successful completion certificate in order to continue in the course). This applies to BOTH Certification and Recertification courses. Participants CANNOT continue in the course without presenting the instructor with a successful completion certificate from the American Red Cross.
2. If you should have ANY ISSUE WITH THE ONLINE COURSE WORK PLEASE CONTACT AMERICAN RED CROSS CUSTOMER SERVICE directly. The Summit Area YMCA is not responsible for handling technical issues associated with the American Red Cross website or coursework.
3. Participants MUST successfully demonstrate all pre-test requirements consecutively prior to being admitted to the course. It is highly recommended that candidates practice the pre-test requirements prior to the first class session.
4. Bring several towels, 2 bathing suits (if possible), and snacks to each class meeting. It is highly recommended that female participants wear one piece, competitive style bathing suits.
Please bring the following materials to the first class:
• Completion certificate from blended learning course.
• Original Lifeguard Certification Card (Class MUST be completed within one month of the expiration date listed on your card. For example if your certification expires January 21st, entire recertification course must be taken and completed prior to February 21st. Failure to do so will result in having to complete a full 25 hour certification course) - This is Red Cross policy.
• Pocket Mask (must be properly inflated and not defective. Masks will be available for purchase for $20 on the first day of the class if one is forgotten or defective).