Get certified by the American Red Cross to be a lifeguard and learn the skills and knowledge to perform water rescues. Participants who successfully complete the course receive a certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and AED for the Professional Rescuer that is valid for 2 years. Course curriculum includes classroom work, practical skills in the water and on land and two exams.
All lifeguarding courses follow the course requirements of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding program. Both lifeguard full certification courses and recertification courses are blended learning courses (i.e., approximately 7.5 hours of online coursework PLUS approximately 25 hours of scheduled, mandatory in-person class time for lifeguarding; 12 hours for recertification). All blended course work must be completed prior to the first class session. Failure to complete the blended material will result in dismissal from the class without refund or credit. Participants must pass a swimming pre-test before taking the course (see below for more information). Participants that do not successfully complete the pre-test will result in dismissal from the class with 50% course credit. Course curriculum includes classroom work, practical skills in the water and on land and one final written exams. Attendance is required at all classes. Participants who successfully complete the course receive a certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR, and AED for the Professional Rescuer that is valid for 2 years.
• Be at least 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled lesson of this course
• Attend all class sessions
• Complete the required online coursework prior to the first day of class. (Blended online coursework will be sent directly to the participants from a Summit Area YMCA employee)
• Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills in the pre-test:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously (any combination of front crawl and breaststroke). Swim goggles may be used.
2. Retrieve a weighted 10 lb brick from a minimum depth of 7 ft of water and then swim 20 yards on back while holding the weight out of the water. This must be accomplished in 1 minute and 30 seconds. Swim goggles may not be worn.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes using ONLY the legs.
1. ALL blended work (7 ½ hours of online material) must be completed prior to the first class meeting. Participants will have to show printed copy of successful completion certificate in order to continue in the course). This applies to BOTH Certification and Recertification courses. Participants CANNOT continue in the course without presenting the instructor with a successful completion certificate from the American Red Cross. Participants that do not complete the course work prior to the first day of class are NOT eligible for credit or refund of course cost.
2. If you should have ANY ISSUE WITH THE ONLINE COURSE WORK PLEASE CONTACT AMERICAN RED CROSS CUSTOMER SERVICE directly. The Summit Area YMCA is not responsible for handling technical issues associated with the American Red Cross website or coursework.
3. Participants MUST successfully demonstrate all pre-test requirements consecutively prior to being admitted to the course. It is highly recommended that candidates practice the pre-test requirements prior to the first class session.
4. Bring several towels, 2 bathing suits (if possible), and snacks to each class meeting. It is highly recommended that female participants wear one piece, competitive style bathing suits.
Please bring the following materials to the first class:
• Completion certificate from blended learning course.
• Original Lifeguard Certification Card (Class MUST be completed within one month of the expiration date listed on your card. For example, if your certification expires January 21st, entire recertification course must be taken and completed prior to February 21st. Failure to do so will result in having to complete a full 25-hour certification course) - This is Red Cross policy.
• Pocket Mask (must be properly inflated and not defective. Masks will be available for purchase for $20 on the first day of the class if one is forgotten or defective).
At the start of each class session, participant will be required to take the Summit Area YMCA health screen which includes temperature check and COVID symptoms check (as outlined by the Summit Area YMCA Guidelines and CDC). Participants displaying COVID-19 or Flu-like symptoms or have a temperature above 100.4 will not be permitted to participate and must be immediately picked up. During "classroom" time all participants and instructors will wear masks and be placed socially distant. When in the pool, physical contact between participants will be unavoidable. We will make sure to limit contact time to only as necessary for the purpose of this course. Hand sanitizer will be made available and shared items will be limited (or cleaned in between use). Prior to the start of the course, each participant should "self quarantine" for 2 weeks. In the interest of safety of class participants and instructors, it is expected that participants will not participate in "high risk" activities throughout the duration of the course.
If a participant cannot continue in the class due to COVID-19 (diagnosis, exposure, or health department required quarantine) they will be placed in a future class to finish the course work or be issued a Summit Area YMCA credit to be used for a future class or program at the Summit Area YMCA.