Updated September 2021
In accordance with the NJ Governor’s Executive orders, the NJ Department of Health, and the Center for Disease Control, masks are OPTIONAL for fully vaccinated members, guests and staff of the Berkeley Heights YMCA, Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA, Summit YMCA & Springfield Community Pool.
This policy does not apply to our licensed child care, after-school, or summer camp programs for children under 11 years old as they follow additional Health & Safety Policies & Procedures governed by the NJ Department of Children and Families Office of Licensing and American Camp Association.
Masks are REQUIRED for unvaccinated members, guests and staff, including children ages 2-11.
Equally we know everyone wants the pandemic to end. As an important member of our Y family we still need your help in continuing to fight COVID-19 by practicing good health and safety measures. In demonstration of our core YMCA values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility, we encourage you to get vaccinated if you can, wear a mask if you are not vaccinated and when you are in crowded areas, social distance when possible, wash your hands frequently, clean your equipment before and after use, and stay home if you are sick.
In efforts to provide a safe and clean environment for all, the Summit Area YMCA continues to practice the following health & safety measures, until further notice:
• Require health screenings for all members, staff and guests
• Require masks for unvaccinated members and guests, including children ages 2-11
• Require all staff working with children under 11 years old to wear masks regardless of vaccination status
• Enhanced cleaning practices and increased frequency
• Encourage social distancing
• Encouraging members to wipe down equipment before and after use
• Distribution of cleaning spray bottles for personal use
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, Governor’s Executive Orders and CDC
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, NJ Department of Children and Families Office of Licensing and American Camp Association for our licensed child care, after-school, and summer camp programs
If you have any questions or concerns in light of the policy updates, please contact us directly.
In 1886, we were founded as the Young Men's Christian Association, but today, we are The Y. An association that values, and is made stronger by, its diverse people. We stand for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility — For a better us. We are committed to creating equal opportunity for all regardless of gender, age, disability, income, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religious affiliation. We strive to create a welcoming and inclusive culture in which our four core values — responsibility, honesty, caring and respect — are integral to everyday operations.
Each year, as one of the area’s leading 501(c)3 charitable organizations, the Summit Area YMCA serves more than 15,000 individuals with our free and fee-based programs and services in an area spanning the New Jersey communities of Berkeley Heights, Gillette, Millburn, New Providence, Short Hills, Springfield, Stirling and Summit. Our history is rooted in working side-by-side with our neighbors to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Through the generosity of our members, donors, and partners, we are able to offer financial assistance for our programs and services to those in need.