As of Friday, May 28, 2021, in accordance with the Governor’s Executive orders (revising our mask mandate and 6-foot social distancing rule in public spaces and settings, including gyms to align with the Center for Disease Control’s updated guidelines on masks for those who are fully vaccinated), the NJ Department of Health, and the CDC, masks are OPTIONAL for fully vaccinated members, guests and staff of the Berkeley Heights YMCA, Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA, Summit YMCA & Springfield Community Pool. This change does not apply to our licensed child care, after-school, and summer camp programs and their current Health & Safety Policies & Procedures. Masks are REQUIRED for unvaccinated members, guests and staff, including children ages 2-11.
To recap what has changed, effective May 28, 2021:
• Masks are OPTIONAL for fully vaccinated members, guests and staff of the SAY (excluding participants and staff in our licensed child care, after-school and summer camp programs or staff working with children ages 2-11)
• Relaxation of 6-foot social distancing rules
• Reopening of locker rooms and showers
• All members and staff are required to scan in upon entry
The Summit Area YMCA will continue to practice the following health & safety measures, until further notice:
• Require health screenings for all members, staff and guests
• Require masks for unvaccinated members and guests, including children ages 2-11
• Require all staff working with children ages 2-11 to wear masks regardless of vaccination status
• Enhanced cleaning practices and increased frequency
• Encouraging members to wipe down equipment before and after use
• Distribution of cleaning spray bottles for personal use
• Require reservations for all group exercise classes and lap swim sessions
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, Governor’s Executive Orders and CDC
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, NJ Department of Children and Families Office of Licensing and American Camp Association for our licensed child care, after-school, and summer camp programs
If you have any questions or concerns in light of the policy updates, please contact us directly.
We were founded as the Young Men's Christian Association in 1886, but today, we are The Y. An association that values, and is made stronger by, its diverse people. Each year, the Summit Area YMCA, one of the area’s leading 501(c)3 charitable organizations, serves more than 15,000 individuals with our free and fee-based programs and services in an area spanning the New Jersey communities of Berkeley Heights, Gillette, Millburn, New Providence, Short Hills, Springfield, Stirling and Summit. Our history is rooted in working side-by-side with our neighbors to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, income and background, has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. We are committed to creating equal opportunity for all regardless of gender, age, disability, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religious affiliation and we strive to create a welcoming and inclusive culture in which our four core values — responsibility, honesty, caring and respect — are integral to everyday operations. Through the generosity of our members, donors, and partners, we are able to offer financial assistance for our programs and services to those with demonstrated need. We deepen our impact each time we transform a life for the better and we couldn't do it without you. Help us do more together by making a donation online today!