To our YMCA Members & Friends,
Earlier this week, the State of New Jersey revised our mask mandate and 6-foot social distancing rule in public spaces and settings, including gyms, to align with the Center for Disease Control’s updated guidelines on masks for those who are fully vaccinated.
Effective Friday, May 28, in accordance with the Governor’s Executive orders, the NJ Department of Health, and the CDC, masks are optional for fully vaccinated members and guests of the Berkeley Heights YMCA, Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA, Summit YMCA & Springfield Community Pool.
This change does not apply to our licensed childcare, after-school, and summer camp programs.
Masks are still required for unvaccinated members and guests, including children ages 2-11.
The Y will not require proof of vaccination; we are counting on the integrity of our members to follow this guidance based on their vaccination status. If you or your child are not vaccinated, we ask that you continue to wear a mask and practice social distancing, out of care and respect for those around you who may remain at risk.
While we are all eager to return to normalcy, we ask that our members demonstrate the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility toward each other and our dedicated staff during this transition forward. Please remember some individuals may continue to wear a mask because they are mid-vaccine or as an extra precaution.
No matter your vaccination status, we encourage you to practice the health and safety measures that make you most comfortable. If you are immunocompromised, it is recommended that you continue wearing a mask in all public settings, including the YMCA. If you are not feeling well or have any COVID-19 related symptoms we ask that you postpone any visit to the Y. For convenience, the SAY Virtual Fitness Studio is available 24/7 to SAY members to workout whenever they want, wherever they are.
Beginning June 1, we are also happy to announce expanded facility hours and Kid Zone availability, increased group exercise and lap swim capacity, and the return of outdoor fitness classes.
To recap what has changed, effective May 28:
• Masks are optional for fully vaccinated members and guests of SAY locations (excluding our licensed childcare, after-school, and summer camp programs)
• Relaxation of 6-foot social distancing rules
• Reopening of locker rooms and showers
• All members and staff are required to scan in upon entry
The Summit Area YMCA will continue to practice the following health & safety measures, until further notice:
• Temperature checks for all members, staff and guests
• Require masks for unvaccinated members and guests, including children ages 2-11
• Require masks for all staff while working indoors at any SAY location
• Enhanced cleaning practices and increased frequency
• Encouraging members to wipe down equipment before and after use
• Distribution of cleaning spray bottles for personal use
• Require reservations for all group exercise classes and lap swim sessions
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, Governor’s Executive Orders and CDC
• Follow guidelines provided by NJ Department of Health, NJ Department of Children and Families Office of Licensing and American Camp Association for our licensed childcare, after-school, and summer camp programs
Our commitment to safety remains and we value your support as we continue our mission in providing a healthy living, youth development, social responsibility and providing a safe, welcoming environment for all.
Thank you for staying with us. We cannot wait to see all your smiling faces again at the Y!
President & CEO
Summit Area YMCA