The Berkeley Heights Community Pool is willing to train eligible applicants as lifeguards to work this summer.
To become a lifeguard, you must pass the following prerequisite:
• Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
• Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
• Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
• Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
o Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
o Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
o Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back, returning to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates cannot swim the distance underwater.
o Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
The Lifeguard maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. He/She creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with Y policies and procedures.
• Maintains constant surveillance of the water, deck and pool areas at all times.
Actively scans the pool to achieve a 10 x 10 reaction time and practice preventative lifeguarding.
• Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
• Maintains a professional attitude and appearance, wearing the proper uniform/equipment for each shift.
• Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
• Gives 100% attention to the patrons and operation of the pool area. Is alert, vigilant and conscientious.
• Performs light housekeeping of aquatics facility as needed (cleaning pool, moving of deck equipment, etc.)
• Maintains current certifications (Lifeguard, CPR-PR, First-Aid)
• Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with Y policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
• Reports known pool hazards to Aquatics Management as soon as possible.
• Stays in good physical condition to properly perform necessary skills as a lifeguard
• Weekly complete 500 yard swim (20 laps)
• Attends all scheduled meetings, trainings and events.
• Completes other duties as assigned (testing chemicals, minor housekeeping, etc.)
• As an Ambassador for the Y, communicates to members, volunteers, and the general public that the Y is the nation’s leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
• Demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
• Current certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguard or Shallow Water Lifeguarding
• Current Certification in Professional Rescuer CPR/AED and First Aid.
• Must obtain certification for Emergency Oxygen Administration, Asthma Inhaler and Epi-Pen Administration prior to summer season.
• Must be a minimum of 15 years old.
• Available for work the duration of the entire summer (May 15 – September 3)
Mandatory Pre-Season In-Service Dates
Friday, May 18th 6:00 - 9:30 pm At The Summit YMCA
Sunday, May 20th 6:00 - 10:00 pm At The Summit YMCA
Friday May 25th 11:00 am - 1:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Exact time TBD based on School Schedule)
Pay Range: $9.18 - $12.00 per hour, based on experience.
Interested candidates please complete the employment application and submit below to Mike Mirabella, BHCP Aquatics Director.