The Head Coach manages all aspects of the Berkeley Heights Community Pool Swim Team, including practice plans, coaching assignments, swim meets and events. The Head Coach will be expected to work in partnership with the pool management, staff, swimmers, and parents.
• Serve as the overall Head Coach for the swim program, acting as a role model by providing leadership and guidance to the coaching staff, swimmers, and families.
• Communication responsibilities including but not limited to: Summit Area YMCA management / directors, BHCP Aquatics Management Staff, parents, swimmers, coaches, and public relations
• Promote a fun, safe, encouraging, and team-oriented environment that fosters learning
• Manage day-to-day operation of the swim team. This includes (but not limited to):
a. Registration of swimmers
b. Running Time Trials, Practices, Team Events, attending League Meetings
c. Preparing the pool for swim practices / meets and cleaning up at the conclusion of each
d. Planning team practice schedule, meet schedule, staffing needs, meet entry assignments, meet lineups, and other administrative duties.
• Submission of practice plans (with season goals) that demonstrate the following:
a. Age- and skill-appropriate drills for each age group
b. Strong understanding of overall balance of training and taper techniques, both in water and dry-land, for all age groups, abilities, specialties and body types
c. Vision for appropriate balance of distance, sprint, technique and strength/conditioning work throughout the entire program.
d. A willingness to provide stroke technique instruction, by getting in the water if necessary
• Maintain control and safety of swimmers at practice, prior to meets, and during meets
• Develop the team policies
• Evaluate Training plans and goals for Swimmer Development for all athletes at all levels, including managing the planning of training cycles in conjunction with group lead coaches. This will include reviewing meet results so as to work with swimmers to improve performance.
• Ability and vision for coach training and development (including being up-to-date on latest swim techniques)
• Assist in the hiring of assistant coaching staff and managing staff throughout the season.
• As an Ambassador for the Y, communicates to members, volunteers, and the general public that the Y is the nation’s leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
• Demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility
• Experience as a head coach, or extensive experience as an Assistant Coach
• Hold or be willing to obtain the following certifications (prior to start of season):
o Lifeguard Certification
o USA Swim Coach Certification (level 1)
o Coaches Safety Training
o Athlete Protection (USA Swimming Course)
o Principles of YMCA Coaching
• Minimum 60 College Credits (College Degree preferred)
• Competitive Swim or College Swim experience (preferred)
• Strong organizational skills
• Effective communications skills
Mandatory Pre-Season In-Service Dates
Friday, May 18th 6:00 - 9:30 pm At The Summit YMCA
Friday May 25th 11:00 am - 1:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Exact time TBD based on School Schedule)
Pay Range: $18.00 - $ 25.00 per hour, based on experience.
Schedule: 30-25 hours per week, actual day and times TBD.
Interested candidates please complete the employment application and submit below to Mike Mirabella, BHCP Aquatics Director.