The Swim Instructor provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in swimming classes. He/She follows the guidelines of the BHCP Swim Lesson Program and ensures that participants are in a positive and safe learning environment.
• Instructs swimming lessons as assigned in accordance with YMCA guidelines, having prepared lesson plans accordingly.
• Maintains constant supervision of students, watch for swimmers needing assistance, and aid swimmers when necessary to ensure positive learning environment.
• Develops positive relationships with members and participants and provides motivational support and guidance.
• Conveys information on aquatics programs and schedules and as appropriate refers members and participants to other programs.
• Maintains records as required (i.e. attendance, progress reports, etc.).
• Attends staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
• Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations and procedures, including emergency and safety procedures. Completes incident and accident reports as necessary.
• Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
• Trains and supervises class aides as assigned.
• As an Ambassador for the Y, communicates to members, volunteers, and the general public that the Y is the nation’s leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
• Demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
• Must be able to demonstrate swim instructor skills in accordance with YMCA standards.
• Ability to obtain Water Safety Instructor certification within 1st year of employment.
• Ability to obtain Certifications in CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification and Emergency Oxygen within 1st year of employment.
• At least 15 years of age.
• Must be available for work June 25 – August 10
Mandatory Pre-Season In-Service Dates
Friday, May 18th 6:00 - 9:30 pm At The Summit YMCA
Friday May 25th 11:00 am - 1:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Exact time TBD based on School Schedule)
Pay Range: $9.18 - $15.00 per hour, based on certifications and experience.
Interested candidates please complete the employment application and submit below to Mike Mirabella, BHCP Aquatics Director.