Under the direction of the Aquatics Director & Assistant Managers, the Head Lifeguard ensures the safety of all participants in the Aquatics area. The Head Lifeguard is also responsible for the supervision of all lifeguards on duty during their shift.
• Supervises Lifeguards to ensure that they are following the Summit Area Aquatic guidelines and in such activities as:
i. Proper positioning
iii. Proper dress code and equipment.
iv. Scheduling shifts and breaks
• Be aware of all Aquatic Department Policies and Procedures including Emergency procedures.
• Obtain Certified Pool Operator (CPO) certificate by July 1st of season.
• Maintains the Pool Reading book while on duty, taking the readings every 2 hours.
• Maintains First Aid kits and fanny packs and restocks if necessary.
• Assists with scheduling and facilitation of the lifeguard rotation.
• Completes necessary paperwork correctly, i.e. opening and closing procedure reports, accident reports, and supervisor shift report.
• Assists in organizing and attends all in-service trainings and staff meetings.
• Assumes Lifeguard responsibilities when necessary.
• Resolves member and staff conflicts professionally.
• Responsible for assisting other staff in finding substitutes (and for finding appropriate coverage for self when needed).
• Ensure that all children under the age of 15 are water-tested and wrist-banded.
• As an Ambassador for the Y, communicates to members, volunteers, and the general public that the Y is the nation’s leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
• Demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
• Current certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguarding
• Current Certification in Professional Rescuer CPR/AED and First Aid.
• Current Certification for Emergency Oxygen Administration, Asthma Inhaler and Epi-Pen Administration.
• Minimum of 17 years old
• Must have at least 2 years’ experience Lifeguarding.
• Available for work the duration of the entire summer (May 15 – September 3)
Mandatory Pre-Season In-Service Dates
Friday, May 18th 6:00 - 9:30 pm At The Summit YMCA
Sunday, May 20th 6:00 - 10:00 pm At The Summit YMCA
Friday May 25th 11:00 am - 1:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Exact time TBD based on School Schedule)
Pay Range: $12.00 - $15.00 per hour, based on experience.
Interested candidates please complete the employment application and submit below to Mike Mirabella, BHCP Aquatics Director.