The Lifeguard maintains safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. He/She creates a safe and positive atmosphere that promotes member safety and engagement in accordance with Y policies and procedures.
• Maintains constant surveillance of the water, deck and pool areas at all times.
Actively scans the pool to achieve a 10 x 10 reaction time and practice preventative lifeguarding.
• Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
• Maintains a professional attitude and appearance, wearing the proper uniform/equipment for each shift.
• Maintains effective relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
• Gives 100% attention to the patrons and operation of the pool area. Is alert, vigilant and conscientious.
• Performs light housekeeping of aquatics facility as needed (cleaning pool, moving of deck equipment, etc.)
• Maintains current certifications (Lifeguard, CPR-PR, First-Aid)
• Knows/reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with Y policies and procedures. Completes related reports as required.
• Reports known pool hazards to Aquatics Management as soon as possible.
• Stays in good physical condition to properly perform necessary skills as a lifeguard
• Weekly complete 500 yard swim (20 laps)
• Attends all scheduled meetings, trainings and events.
• Completes other duties as assigned (testing chemicals, minor housekeeping, etc.)
• As an Ambassador for the Y, communicates to members, volunteers, and the general public that the Y is the nation’s leading non-profit committed to strengthening the community through Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
• Demonstrates the Y’s values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
• Current certificate in American Red Cross Lifeguard or Shallow Water Lifeguarding
• Current Certification in Professional Rescuer CPR/AED and First Aid.
• Must obtain certification for Emergency Oxygen Administration, Asthma Inhaler and Epi-Pen Administration prior to summer season.
• Must be a minimum of 15 years old.
• Available for work the duration of the entire summer (May 15 – September 3)
Mandatory Pre-Season In-Service Dates
Friday, May 18th 6:00 - 9:30 pm At The Summit YMCA
Sunday, May 20th 6:00 - 10:00 pm At The Summit YMCA
Friday May 25th 11:00 am - 1:00 pm or 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm (Exact time TBD based on School Schedule)
Pay Range: $9.18 - $12.00 per hour, based on experience.
Interested candidates please complete the employment application and submit below to Mike Mirabella, BHCP Aquatics Director.