Interested in joining the Berkeley Heights Community Pool at the YMCA Berkeley Breakers Swim Team? We had an exciting summer season in 2023, at our new state-of-the-art Olympic-sized outdoor pool and are looking forward to another summer of fun! A special welcome to all our new team members and we look forward to seeing our returning swimmers!
The Berkeley Breakers Swim Team competes in the North Jersey Summer Swim League - Division 3; swimming against Mountainside, Morris Township, Verona, and Maplewood. The season consists of 8 dual meets, plus a Championship Meet. The mission of the Coaching Staff is to help each swimmer maximize their ability through swimmer-specific training and competition. The coaches seek to work with children and parents to create a positive environment where personal excellence, honesty, and commitment are fostered and expected. Together we seek to instill a lifelong love of swimming and achieve our highest potential in swimming and life. Many of the swimmers who start out on the Berkeley Breakers Swim Team go on to compete at the YMCA, high school, and college levels.
Every new swimmer is welcome on our team, regardless of ability or prior experience. Our coaches will make the final decision regarding specific team placement based on your child’s swimming ability and with your child’s best interest in mind. Those who do not make the team will be asked to join our lessons program, designed to develop swimming skills in a non-competitive environment.
• The Berkeley Breakers is open to youth ages 6-17. Swimmers MUST be at least 6 years of age by June 1, 2023 in order to participate.
• All NEW swimmers under 8 are required to try out for the Swim Team. Children ages 9-17 do not need to try out but must demonstrate proficiency in freestyle and backstroke.
• To pass tryouts, swimmers must demonstrate proficiency in both front crawls and backstroke through consistent forward motion and rotary breathing, swim 25 yards of freestyle and backstroke consecutively, touch the bottom of the pool, jump into deep water and safely resurface, be able to tread water for 1 minute while demonstrating stamina and efficient body motion throughout the duration of the evaluation.
• While a BHCPY Pool Membership is not required to register for the Breakers Swim Team and related activities, outside of BHCP Breakers Swim Team practices, meets, and events, all Swim Team members 12 & under must be accompanied by an adult when visiting the pool, regardless of their swimming abilities.
• Attendance: Swimmers are expected to attend all practices. Please talk to the coaches if your child will be missing a significant number of practices (for summer school, camp, etc.). According to the North Jersey Summer Swimming League rules, swimmers must participate in at least 4 dual meets to be eligible to compete in the Divisional Championship Meet.
Date: Friday, June 9
Time: 4:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Location: Berkeley Heights YMCA
Starts: June 19
Ages: 8 & Under
Time: 10:15 - 11:00 AM
Ages: 9 & 10
Time: 10:15 - 11:15 AM
Ages 11 & Older
Time: 10:15 - 11:30 AM
• $160 YMCA & BHCPY Pool Members (Includes registration fees, BHCPY T-shirt + Swim Cap)
• $300 Non-Members (Includes registration fees, BHCPY T-shirt + Swim Cap)
• $45-70 for Team Branded Bathing Suit (Required for all swimmers)
If you have any questions, please contact Jerrica Kulbis, Sr. Aquatics Director at email@example.com.