Outdoor group exercise classes, personal training and summer camp are now open at the Berkeley Heights YMCA & Summit YMCA!
If you are not participating in available programming, your membership will remain on hold until further notice. We continue to share reopening details and new program information as it becomes available. Looking for more information? Check out our latest announcements.
NEWS & UPDATES
Have a question or need to get in touch?
Also known as “The Silent Killer”, high blood pressure puts you at risk for heart disease and stroke, which are leading causes of death in the United States. Research shows that monitoring your blood pressure at least twice a month over four months may lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure, coupled with proper nutrition can help to lower diastolic and systolic blood pressure. Join the Y’s Blood Pressure Self-Monitoring Program and work with a trained Healthy Heart Ambassador who will coach and encourage you throughout the 4 month program.
Healthy Heart Ambassadors will train participants to properly use a self-monitoring blood pressure cuff and emphasize the value of regular self-monitoring. Ambassadors will also provide ongoing personalized support as they strive to achieve their program goals.
You will work with your trained Healthy Heart Ambassador who will coach and encourage you throughout the 4 month program.
• Self measure your blood pressure each week with your own blood pressure cuff
• Attend at least 2 coaching meetings per month where your Healthy Heart Ambassador will measure you blood pressure and connect with you on your progress and goals.
• Attend monthly nutrition seminars to help implement heart healthy habits and tips to help reduce high blood pressure while still enjoying well balanced meals.
• Personalized support to coach you throughout the 4-month program
• Weekly touch points to help keep you on track and motivated
• Evidence based program that has had success in lowering blood pressure
• Support and encouragement to help you improve cardiovascular health
• Informative and interactive nutrition component to assist you in changing your diet to be heart healthy
• Education on lifestyle choices that can improve your health
These 60 minute seminars will highlight the importance of practicing healthier eating habits.
• Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
• Reducing sodium intake
• Shopping, cooking and food preparation
• Eating for your heart
• Reduction in blood pressure
• Better blood pressure management
• Increased awareness of triggers that elevate blood pressure
• Enhanced knowledge to develop healthier eating habits
• Be at least 18 years old
• Be diagnosed with high blood pressure
• Not have experienced a recent cardiac event
• Not have atrial fibrillation or other arrhythmias
• Not be at risk for lymphedema
The Healthy Heart Ambassadors are available each week for personalized consultations to support participants as they continue to better manage their blood pressure. Participants will also receive personalized contact from their Healthy Heart Ambassador.
As a nonprofit, we are committed to enhancing the lives of individuals and families in our community. With the generous donations of members, donors, and partners in the community from funds raised during our Annual Campaign and special events, the Summit Area YMCA is able to offer financial assistance to ensure that everyone, regardless of age, income, or background has the opportunity to learn, grow and thrive. Families with low or moderate household income or those who are experiencing financial hardship are encouraged to apply.
YMCA of the USA is one of several partners in the Million Hearts® campaign launched by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The goal of the campaign is to prevent one million heart attacks and strokes by 2022 through heart disease prevention activities.