Cutting back on gluten and grains?
In today's "Weigh In Wednesday" video this veggie-powered pizza needs to make its way into your kitchen. Freshly grated cauliflower serves as the base for this delicious crust that you can fold up just like traditional pizza! The healthiest version is to just top the pizza with grape tomatoes and fresh basil, but feel free to toss a ton more veggies [and maybe a little cheese or a cheese alternative] on this pizza pie to bulk it up a bit [or anything else you'd like]. At less than 300 calories for half the pie, this is a pizza recipe you can enjoy sans guilt.
1. Nonstick spray
2. 2 1/2 cups cauliflower, grated (about 1/2 a large head)
3. 1 large egg, lightly beaten
4. 1 1/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
5. 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
6. [and if you're not eating cheese... believe it or not try Trader Joe's Almond Mozzarella Style Shreds as a cheese alternative]
7. Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8. 1/4 cup tomato sauce
9. 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
10. 2 cloves garlic, sliced
11. 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
12. Fresh basil leaves, optional
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 425ºF.
2. Grate the cauliflower using a box grater or a food processor until you have two cups of cauliflower crumbles. Place in a large bowl and microwave for seven to eight minutes, or until soft. Remove from the microwave and let cool.
3. Mix in the egg, one cup mozzarella, parmesan cheese, [cheese alternative] and salt and pepper. Once combined, pat into a 10-inch round on the prepared pizza pan. Spray lightly with nonstick spray and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden.
4. Top the pizza with the sauce, 1/4 cup mozzarella, grape tomatoes, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Bake in the oven until melted and bubbly, another 10 minutes. Top with basil before serving.