Swim Lessons and Water Safety Classes
It's never too young to learn to swim and practice safety around water. Sign up for swim lessons and water safety classes at the Summit Area YMCA and watch your children progress in ability and knowledge. Fun and educational, our fully-trained and certified staff customize lessons to focus on your child's learning needs.
CHILDREN & TEEN LESSONS
LIFEGUARD TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
We at the Summit Area YMCA recognize that parents need to have peace of mind that their children are safe around water, as well as have children feel comfortable in their ability to swim. We know parents are dedicated to their child’s safety, education, and developmental needs and that is why we urge you to register for this essential life training that will lower the risk of drowning and water-related accidents. We understand that every child learns at his or her own pace, and accordingly, your child will be gently guided through each skill level based on his or her level of development and readiness.
AN ESSENTIAL LIFE SKILL
- Every day, at least 55 children in the U.S. reach the water unsupervised and end up in a potential drowning situation.
- Of all children who drown, 63% are of ages 4 years and under.
Drowning can occur in as little as 1 inch of water.
- A child will lose consciousness approximately 2 minutes after submersion. Irreversible brain damage occurs after 4-6 minutes.
- Watching your children is not enough to protect them from every hazardous water situation. Teaching children survival swimming skills provides an extra layer of protection.
- Learning to roll onto their backs and float unassisted is crucial for survival. There are over 800 documented cases of students saving themselves using these skills.
FAMILY AQUATIC SAFETY
- Drowning is the leading cause of accidental death for children between the ages of 1 and 4
- 88% of young drowning victims were under some form of supervision at the time of the incident
- Maintain constant, eyes-on, uninterrupted supervision
- Never leave a child alone near any body of water, not even for a second
- Install permanent four-sided fencing that encloses the entire pool area with a self-closing, self-locking gate
- Install high locks and alarms on ALL doors and windows that lead to the pool, including utility and pet doors